The Characters of the Metro Universe are the novel's and game's backbone. Metro 2033 has a large and diverse set of people, however, only a few are notable and have their own pages. Below is a list of all the notable characters, with links to their pages and brief descriptions as to who they are.
- Artyom - The youngest and newest member, Artyom unofficially became a Ranger when Hunter assigned him his first mission to get to Polis and find Miller. Artyom is the protagonist of both the first book and the two games based on it, as well as being the main character of Metro 2035 and Metro Exodus.
- Miller - The colonel and leader of the Rangers.
- Ulman - A higher ranking Ranger, the most frequent Artyom encounters.
- Hunter - Missing in action - the first Ranger met, Artyom views him as a mentor and is the reason why Artyom started his quest.
- Pavel - Killed in action on Depot - part of Ulman's two-man group.
- Boris - Killed in action on Dungeon - Stepan's best friend, driver and conductor of the steam-powered rail car.
- Stepan - Killed in action on Caves - Boris' best friend, and driver of the Armored Vehicle.
- Vladimir - The technician of The Rangers, and one of the veteran Rangers.
- Danila - A lower ranking Ranger who accompanies Artyom and Miller to the Library, but is injured on the way.
- Krasnov - A Ranger captain stationed at Polis.
- Anna - A top sniper of the Rangers and daughter of their uncompromising leader Miller - becomes Artyom's wife by the year 2035 (according to the book trilogy canon).
- Alex - Artyom's stepfather, who saved a younger Artyom from a horde of rats.
- Eugine - A childhood friend of Artyom's who joins in on the journey to Riga.
- Boris - A resident of Exhibition who helps take the caravan to Riga.
- Bourbon - Artyom's mentor early on in the game, his teachings remain ubiquitous throughout his journey.
- Khan - An enigmatic character in both the game and the first novel, he helps Artyom on his way to D-6.
- Komarov - The captain of the Children of the Underground.
- Sasha - A little boy who survived the Hole station massacre.
Other Notable Characters of the MetroEdit
- Nikolay - An Exhibition resident fearful of the Dark Ones.
- Petr - A soldier of Exhibition blocking the way to Exhibition's infirmary.
- Kirill - A veteran guard of Exhibition who is present during Hunter's appearance.
- Pavel - Exhibition's quartermaster.
- Peter - A notable guard of Exhibition who sends the supply trolley down the other path.
- Nikki - A prostitute of Riga station.
- Semyon - A soldier of the Hanza railcar that helps save Artyom and Bourbon in Lost Catacombs.
- Mikhalych - The second soldier of the Hanza railcar that helps save Artyom and Bourbon.
- Boss - A frontal guard of Market.
- Mike - A corrupt Hanza guard that Bourbon bribes.
- Vitali - A childhood friend of Artyom and Eugine who opens the door to Botanical Gardens.
- Igor - A chief of security for Market Station.
- Andrew- The blacksmith of Armory station.
- Sergey Sergeyevich - A resident of Armory Station and communist recruit.
- Lev - A communist soldier strongly against suicide.
- Sasha's Mother - The mother of Sasha.
- Sergei - The uncle of Sasha who died in the Hole station massacre.
- Führer - The mysterious leader of the Fourth Reich, he is never seen nor named in the novels.
Metro: Last LightEdit
- Pavel - A Red Line soldier who forms a temporary alliance with Artyom to escape the Reich.
- Fedor - A fisherman of Venice who rescues Artyom and transports him to Venice Station.
- Little Dark One - The focus of Metro: Last Light. He is thought to be the last surviving Dark One. He is very intelligent, and wants to be more friendly towards humans (wears clothes, assists Artyom with filters, helps him "see", etc.).
- Andrew The Blacksmith - A runaway from the Reds; helps smuggle refugees out of the Red Line.
- Andrey Moskvin - A brother of the current leader of The Red Line.
Use this template, found on all pages relating to particular people, for quick navigation and a more in-depth list.